What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 154 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Consult on New Product Development leadership and prioritize challenges of New Product Development.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– How do we ensure that implementations of New Product Development products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a New Product Development study?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– How do we keep improving New Product Development?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Discuss Association of International Product Marketing & Management adoptions and intervene in Association of International Product Marketing & Management processes and leadership.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of New Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What threat is New Product Development addressing?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Best practice outcomes and oversee implementation of Best practice.
– What are our best practices for minimizing New Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the New Product Development project lifecycle?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– Which customers cant participate in our New Product Development domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Discourse Brand management outcomes and overcome Brand management skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the New Product Development process?
– What vendors make products that address the New Product Development needs?
– What are the Essentials of Internal New Product Development Management?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Analyze Choice modelling strategies and define what our big hairy audacious Choice modelling goal is.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding New Product Development?
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
– How important is New Product Development to the user organizations mission?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Design Conceptual economy decisions and sort Conceptual economy activities.
– Is New Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How can you measure New Product Development in a systematic way?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Nurse Consumer good visions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Consumer good.
– How do your measurements capture actionable New Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your New Product Development processes?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom New Product Development project?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Define Customer requirement failures and interpret which customers can’t participate in Customer requirement because they lack skills.
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– How do mission and objectives affect the New Product Development processes of our organization?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good New Product Development project manager?
– How likely is the current New Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Use past Customer value proposition decisions and track iterative Customer value proposition results.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing New Product Development?
– What are internal and external New Product Development relations?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Explore Design for assembly goals and achieve a single Design for assembly view and bringing data together.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a New Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the New Product Development process available?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether New Product Development goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What business benefits will New Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Design for manufacturability tactics and prioritize challenges of Design for manufacturability.
– Is maximizing New Product Development protection the same as minimizing New Product Development loss?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the New Product Development process?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as New Product Development leaders?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Dissect Design for six sigma management and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Design for six sigma projects.
– Can we add value to the current New Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do we go about Comparing New Product Development approaches/solutions?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Discourse Detailed design document goals and test out new things.
– Among the New Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What are the short and long-term New Product Development goals?
– What will drive New Product Development change?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Discourse Engineering design adoptions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to New Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to New Product Development?
– Are we Assessing New Product Development and Risk?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Derive from Flexible product development strategies and improve Flexible product development service perception.
– Can we do New Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Why is New Product Development important for you now?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Powwow over High-level design planning and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive High-level design projects.
– Consider your own New Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– To what extent does management recognize New Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Industrial design management and oversee Industrial design requirements.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate New Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is a New Product Development Team Work effort in place?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Categorize Integrated Authority File outcomes and customize techniques for implementing Integrated Authority File controls.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a New Product Development project?
– How can skill-level changes improve New Product Development?
– What are our New Product Development Processes?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Consult on Integrated product team goals and point out improvements in Integrated product team.
– What is our formula for success in New Product Development ?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Discourse Market opportunity quality and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Market opportunity decisions.
– Do those selected for the New Product Development team have a good general understanding of what New Product Development is all about?
– What is the total cost related to deploying New Product Development, including any consulting or professional services?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
See the value of Market penetration adoptions and gather Market penetration models .
– What are our needs in relation to New Product Development skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Do the New Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How do we maintain New Product Developments Integrity?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Market research outcomes and tour deciding if Market research progress is made.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Are there recognized New Product Development problems?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Market share issues and revise understanding of Market share architectures.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– For your New Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed New Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of New Product Development?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on National Diet Library projects and grade techniques for implementing National Diet Library controls.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about New Product Development. How do we gain traction?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Discourse Phase–gate model strategies and research ways can we become the Phase–gate model company that would put us out of business.
– Will New Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Grade Pro-innovation bias tasks and tour deciding if Pro-innovation bias progress is made.
– Are there New Product Development Models?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Add value to Process management tactics and get the big picture.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with New Product Development ?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of New Product Development that make it risky?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Match Product Development and Management Association strategies and plan concise Product Development and Management Association education.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of New Product Development into the services that we provide?
– Think about the functions involved in your New Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Product design governance and develop and take control of the Product design initiative.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– How can the value of New Product Development be defined?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Define Product lifecycle decisions and track iterative Product lifecycle results.
– How can we improve New Product Development?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Apply Product management outcomes and mentor Product management customer orientation.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– What are the Key enablers to make this New Product Development move?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What about New Product Development Analysis of results?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Product strategy governance and overcome Product strategy skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Will New Product Development have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
– Do we have past New Product Development Successes?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Quality function deployment decisions and document what potential Quality function deployment megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of New Product Development moving forward?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Confer over Requirements engineering visions and probe the present value of growth of Requirements engineering.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– What is our New Product Development Strategy?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Requirements management goals and oversee Requirements management management by competencies.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic New Product Development objectives?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Define Social design decisions and adjust implementation of Social design.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your New Product Development activities?
– Are accountability and ownership for New Product Development clearly defined?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Own Soft launch strategies and gather practices for scaling Soft launch.
– What is Effective New Product Development?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Face Stevens Institute of Technology goals and separate what are the business goals Stevens Institute of Technology is aiming to achieve.
– Does New Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is there any existing New Product Development governance structure?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Examine Supply chain leadership and slay a dragon.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Transcribe User-centered design failures and oversee User-centered design management by competencies.
– Think about the people you identified for your New Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Think about User experience strategies and correct User experience management by competencies.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Guide Verification and validation strategies and document what potential Verification and validation megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are the usability implications of New Product Development actions?
– Why should we adopt a New Product Development framework?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Mix Virtual product development tactics and look at the big picture.
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Define Voice of the customer planning and slay a dragon.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New Product Development External links:
Filament – New Product Development
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
Best Practice #4 – Alliance Abstract and Title, LLC
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Best Practices – Independence Title
Brand management External links:
BMP – Brand Management Professionals
Watson Creative – Brand Management and Creative Agency
Choice modelling External links:
Journal of Choice Modelling – ScienceDirect.com
[PDF]Journal of Choice Modelling – Econometrics …
Is Biogeme good for Choice Modelling? – researchgate.net
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
Consumer good | economics | Britannica.com
Customer requirement External links:
Aquiss Internet : Customer Requirement System
Customer Requirement Information – Kansas Wildlife, …
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – …
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Customer Value Proposition (CVP) framework | ToolsHero
[PDF]Customer Value Proposition – Porter Instrument
Design for assembly External links:
Design for Assembly, Design for Manufacturing
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design For Assembly (DFA) Product Design & Engineering
Design for manufacturability External links:
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
PCB Design For Manufacturability
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Design for six sigma External links:
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) – HKSQ
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]DESIGN FOR SIX SIGMA – Argi
Detailed design document External links:
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the …
Detailed Design Document Format
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
Engineering design External links:
Home – Engineering Design Technologies
Flexible product development External links:
Jan 01, 2007 · Flexible Product Development has 6 ratings and 1 review. In this landmark book, Preston Smith attributes the recent decline in innovation to …
Industrial design External links:
freeform | Industrial Design & User Experience
Home | TXS INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
Integrated Authority File External links:
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
Integrated authority file: IAF – Digital Collections
Integrated product team External links:
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – U.S. Army PM PNT – …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Market opportunity External links:
Market Opportunity | Aprecia
What is market opportunity analysis? | Reference.com
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
Market penetration External links:
What Is Market Penetration Pricing? | Chron.com
Market Penetration – Investopedia
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market research External links:
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
Market share External links:
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
Title Market Share
Increase Title Production, Growth & Market Share | Data …
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
Free Data Service | National Diet Library
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Process management External links:
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Process Management System | InTechOpen – Open …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association – …
Product Development and Management Association …
Recent Jobs – Product Development and Management Association
Product design External links:
KOHLEX | Product Design Services
Department of Product Design | School of Art + Design
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
Product lifecycle External links:
Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Solutions| PROLIM
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Product Lifecycle (PowerPoint) – Flevy.com
Product management External links:
World Class Product Management Training | Product Focus
Learn Product Management
http://ad · Udemy.com/LearnProductManagement
Product Management | Careers at U.S. Bank
Product strategy External links:
What Is Product Strategy? – Examples & Definition – …
(7) Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
5 Steps to a Winning Product Strategy
Quality function deployment External links:
Quality Function Deployment in Excel | Excel QFD Template
Quality Function Deployment for Competitive Advantage
http://www.isixsigma.com › … › QFD/House of Quality
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
[PDF]Requirements Management Plan PPM Version 2
Social design External links:
Social Design Saltillo – Home | Facebook
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
DSI / Social Design
Soft launch External links:
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
All aboard for SMART train ‘soft launch’
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology – Official Site
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
Global Supply Chain Risk Management Solutions | Avetta
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Welcome to UPS Supply Chain Solutions
User experience External links:
Lojic | Manufacturing User Experience
Google User Experience Research
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
Verification and validation External links:
[PDF]Introduction to Software Verification and Validation
Verification and Validation
International Address Verification and Validation | …
Virtual product development External links:
Virtual Product Development : Doosan Infracore
Caterpillar Virtual Product Development and HPC – YouTube
Voice of the customer External links:
iPerceptions | Full-Service Voice of the Customer solutions
ASQ – Voice of the Customer Webcast