What is involved in Power VM
Find out what the related areas are that Power VM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Power VM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Power VM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Power VM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Power VM related domains to cover and 85 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Power VM, PowerVM, Binary translation, Comparison of platform virtualization software, Hardware virtualization, IBM AIX, IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, Linux on Power, Live Partition Mobility, Micro-Partitioning, Operating system, POWER5, POWER6, POWER7, POWER8, POWER9, PowerPC, Processor core, Software categories, Software developer:
Power VM Critical Criteria:
Dissect Power VM failures and know what your objective is.
– Is there a Power VM Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How can you measure Power VM in a systematic way?
– Who sets the Power VM standards?
PowerVM Critical Criteria:
Consider PowerVM engagements and look at it backwards.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Power VM is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is the Power VM organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Are assumptions made in Power VM stated explicitly?
Binary translation Critical Criteria:
Depict Binary translation planning and probe Binary translation strategic alliances.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Power VM in a volatile global economy?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Power VM? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– What are all of our Power VM domains and what do they do?
Comparison of platform virtualization software Critical Criteria:
Depict Comparison of platform virtualization software decisions and point out Comparison of platform virtualization software tensions in leadership.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Power VM does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Can we do Power VM without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do we Improve Power VM service perception, and satisfaction?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Meet over Hardware virtualization engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Hardware virtualization.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Power VM information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Which customers cant participate in our Power VM domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Power VM leader?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Meet over IBM AIX results and do something to it.
– Among the Power VM product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Do we monitor the Power VM decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing Critical Criteria:
Give examples of IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing results and separate what are the business goals IBM High Availability Cluster Multiprocessing is aiming to achieve.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Power VM processes of our organization?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Power VM leaders?
– How much does Power VM help?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Derive from Kernel-based Virtual Machine management and question.
– Does Power VM systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How can we improve Power VM?
Linux on Power Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Linux on Power strategies and handle a jump-start course to Linux on Power.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Power VM strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– When a Power VM manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Live Partition Mobility Critical Criteria:
Analyze Live Partition Mobility failures and raise human resource and employment practices for Live Partition Mobility.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Power VM agendas for the next 3 years?
– Which Power VM goals are the most important?
– How would one define Power VM leadership?
Micro-Partitioning Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Micro-Partitioning failures and interpret which customers can’t participate in Micro-Partitioning because they lack skills.
– What will drive Power VM change?
– What are our Power VM Processes?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Operating system tasks and revise understanding of Operating system architectures.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Power VM products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– Does the Power VM task fit the clients priorities?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
POWER5 Critical Criteria:
Depict POWER5 goals and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive POWER5 projects.
– Think of your Power VM project. what are the main functions?
POWER6 Critical Criteria:
X-ray POWER6 governance and forecast involvement of future POWER6 projects in development.
POWER7 Critical Criteria:
Unify POWER7 decisions and ask questions.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Power VM models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Power VM?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Power VM move?
POWER8 Critical Criteria:
Check POWER8 goals and separate what are the business goals POWER8 is aiming to achieve.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Power VM strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Power VM activities?
– What is the purpose of Power VM in relation to the mission?
POWER9 Critical Criteria:
Consult on POWER9 projects and be persistent.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Power VM into the services that we provide?
– In what ways are Power VM vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we go about Comparing Power VM approaches/solutions?
PowerPC Critical Criteria:
Add value to PowerPC governance and integrate design thinking in PowerPC innovation.
– what is the best design framework for Power VM organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Are we Assessing Power VM and Risk?
Processor core Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Processor core goals and achieve a single Processor core view and bringing data together.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Power VM?
– How to deal with Power VM Changes?
Software categories Critical Criteria:
Understand Software categories quality and question.
– What vendors make products that address the Power VM needs?
– How do we Identify specific Power VM investment and emerging trends?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Probe Software developer tasks and perfect Software developer conflict management.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Power VM activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Power VM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Power VM External links:
IBM Power VM – Recarta IT
Power VM Partition Priority – YouTube
FM Power VM – Home | Facebook
PowerVM External links:
IBM PowerVM NPIV / IBM Switch Configuration – United States
IBM PowerVM – Australia
IBM PowerVM Virtualization Managing and Monitoring
Binary translation External links:
Specification-driven dynamic binary translation | QUT ePrints
Eltechs team is binary translation technology professionals.
Comparison of platform virtualization software External links:
Comparison of platform virtualization software explained
Hardware virtualization External links:
Hardware Virtualization Support Policy – K2
KVM VPS Hosting – Hardware Virtualization | HostSailor
Hardware Virtualization | Official Apple Support Communities
IBM AIX External links:
IBM AIX commands you should not leave home without
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
IBM AIX Tutorials for beginners – Tut4DL
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
Kernel-based Virtual Machine – Official Site
Popular Videos – Kernel-based Virtual Machine – YouTube
KVM – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
Linux on Power External links:
Docker on Power – Linux on Power
Linux on Power | Linux Journal
LINUX on POWER – Forgett
Live Partition Mobility External links:
Live Partition Mobility for Oracle RAC – IBM
Live Partition Mobility (LPM) – YouTube
What is Live Partition Mobility for IBM i? | HelpSystems
Micro-Partitioning External links:
IBM System p™ MICRO-PARTITIONING™
Operating system External links:
What is operating system (OS)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Operating system market share
O4G | Operating System | Coach | Mastermind Peer Advisory
POWER5 External links:
Power 5 Podcast (@power5_podcast) | Twitter
Nikken Power5 Air Cleaner – YouTube
Nikken’s Air Wellness Power5 Pro – YouTube
POWER6 External links:
IBM POWER6: Servers | eBay
Power6 Power7 Comparison Essay: Undergraduates Top
McCormick MC Power6 Tractor – IndustrySearch
POWER7 External links:
POWER7 and POWER7+ Optimization and Tuning Guide
Power6 Power7 Comparison Essay: Undergraduates Top
POWER8 External links:
Power8 Workshop – YouTube
What’s New in IBM i 7.3 and IBM POWER8 Systems
Power8 Workshop Chile – Home | Facebook
POWER9 External links:
Power9 – About | Facebook
Power9 – Photos | Facebook
IBM i And AIX Won’t Get Power9 Until 2018 – IT Jungle
PowerPC External links:
PowerPC controlled Analog and Timing I/O Intelligence (PATI)
AMCC PowerPC PPC405CR SAS PCIe X4 RAID Controller | eBay
www.ebay.com › … › Server Components › Disk Controllers/RAID Cards
Installing a PowerPC OS in Amiga Forever
Processor core External links:
Intel 3rd Gen. Laptop Processor Core I7-3540m Sr0x6 CPU I7
www.ebay.com › … › Computer Components & Parts › CPUs/Processors
RISC IP – eSi-RISC Configurable Soft Processor Core
A Multipurpose Silicon Photonics Processor Core
Software categories External links:
CMDB – Standard software categories? | ServiceNow Community
NCH Software Categories for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS
Software developer External links:
Software Developer Salary (Australia) – PayScale
Information for Software Developers | Software Developer Site
Survey Software Developer Toolkit – SurveyGizmo