What is involved in Value stream mapping
Find out what the related areas are that Value stream mapping connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Value stream mapping thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Value stream mapping journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Value stream mapping leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Value stream mapping related domains to cover and 98 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Value stream mapping, Business process mapping, Control plan, Design of experiments, Failure mode and effects analysis, Forrester effect mapping, Information and Software Technology, Kaizen, Multi-vari chart, Operations management, Pareto chart, Poka-yoke, Process capability, Product development, Project charter, Quality filter mapping, Root cause analysis, Shigeo Shingo, Six Sigma, Statistical process control, Supply chain responsiveness matrix, Toyota, Value chain, Value stream mapping software, Voice of the customer:
Value stream mapping Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Value stream mapping adoptions and maintain Value stream mapping for success.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Value stream mapping?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Value stream mapping?
– Are assumptions made in Value stream mapping stated explicitly?
Business process mapping Critical Criteria:
Steer Business process mapping goals and devote time assessing Business process mapping and its risk.
– In the case of a Value stream mapping project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Value stream mapping project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Value stream mapping project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are the short and long-term Value stream mapping goals?
– What about Value stream mapping Analysis of results?
Control plan Critical Criteria:
Grasp Control plan issues and look at the big picture.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Value stream mapping opportunities costing us money?
– How do we maintain Value stream mappings Integrity?
– Are there Value stream mapping Models?
Design of experiments Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Design of experiments results and explore and align the progress in Design of experiments.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Value stream mapping does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Value stream mapping objectives?
– What threat is Value stream mapping addressing?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Failure mode and effects analysis risks and intervene in Failure mode and effects analysis processes and leadership.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Value stream mapping been identified and analyzed?
– Does the Value stream mapping task fit the clients priorities?
Forrester effect mapping Critical Criteria:
Align Forrester effect mapping issues and research ways can we become the Forrester effect mapping company that would put us out of business.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Value stream mapping processes?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Value stream mapping values?
Information and Software Technology Critical Criteria:
Learn from Information and Software Technology failures and devise Information and Software Technology key steps.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Value stream mapping with what users do day-to-day?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Value stream mapping?
Kaizen Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Kaizen risks and get going.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Value stream mapping product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Value stream mapping that make it risky?
– Does our organization need more Value stream mapping education?
Multi-vari chart Critical Criteria:
Analyze Multi-vari chart goals and track iterative Multi-vari chart results.
– Can we add value to the current Value stream mapping decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Value stream mapping delivery for example is new software needed?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Frame Operations management projects and improve Operations management service perception.
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Value stream mapping?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Value stream mapping effort?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
– Are there Value stream mapping problems defined?
Pareto chart Critical Criteria:
Recall Pareto chart tactics and gather practices for scaling Pareto chart.
Poka-yoke Critical Criteria:
Coach on Poka-yoke tasks and do something to it.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Value stream mapping leader?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Value stream mapping process?
Process capability Critical Criteria:
Consult on Process capability outcomes and separate what are the business goals Process capability is aiming to achieve.
– Is Supporting Value stream mapping documentation required?
– Why should we adopt a Value stream mapping framework?
Product development Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Product development visions and change contexts.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Value stream mapping goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Value stream mapping processes of our organization?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– Who needs to know about Value stream mapping ?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Project charter Critical Criteria:
Analyze Project charter engagements and create a map for yourself.
– Is there any existing Value stream mapping governance structure?
– How is the value delivered by Value stream mapping being measured?
Quality filter mapping Critical Criteria:
Focus on Quality filter mapping risks and display thorough understanding of the Quality filter mapping process.
– What is the source of the strategies for Value stream mapping strengthening and reform?
– What are the long-term Value stream mapping goals?
– Are we Assessing Value stream mapping and Risk?
Root cause analysis Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Root cause analysis failures and describe which business rules are needed as Root cause analysis interface.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Value stream mapping strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Value stream mapping project?
– What is the purpose of Value stream mapping in relation to the mission?
– Do we do Root Cause Analysis?
Shigeo Shingo Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Shigeo Shingo visions and tour deciding if Shigeo Shingo progress is made.
– Will Value stream mapping deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Learn from Six Sigma strategies and look at the big picture.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Value stream mapping? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What vendors make products that address the Value stream mapping needs?
– How is lean six sigma different from TOGAF architecture?
Statistical process control Critical Criteria:
Analyze Statistical process control tactics and forecast involvement of future Statistical process control projects in development.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Value stream mapping project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Value stream mapping project lifecycle?
– Are Acceptance Sampling and Statistical Process Control Complementary or Incompatible?
– What are specific Value stream mapping Rules to follow?
Supply chain responsiveness matrix Critical Criteria:
See the value of Supply chain responsiveness matrix visions and point out improvements in Supply chain responsiveness matrix.
– Which Value stream mapping goals are the most important?
– How do we Lead with Value stream mapping in Mind?
Toyota Critical Criteria:
See the value of Toyota issues and innovate what needs to be done with Toyota.
– Toyota is the role model and the most highly developed example of the potency of systems thinking and action learning in its broadest sense. but why, if the tps is so successful, is toyota along with its circle of suppliers still almost the lone manufacturing example?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Value stream mapping? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How will you measure your Value stream mapping effectiveness?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Model after Value chain planning and look at the big picture.
– What business benefits will Value stream mapping goals deliver if achieved?
– What will drive Value stream mapping change?
Value stream mapping software Critical Criteria:
Merge Value stream mapping software tactics and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Value stream mapping move?
– Who sets the Value stream mapping standards?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Group Voice of the customer outcomes and devote time assessing Voice of the customer and its risk.
– What are the barriers to increased Value stream mapping production?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Value stream mapping Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Value stream mapping External links:
What is Value Stream Mapping? | LeanKit
SME – Value Stream Mapping
[PDF]Lean and Clean Value Stream Mapping
Business process mapping External links:
Business Process Mapping Examples
Control plan External links:
[PDF]CHAPTER 7 QUALITY CONTROL PLAN – HUD.gov / …
[PDF]Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens
Design of experiments External links:
[PDF]Statistical Design of Experiments
Design of Experiments – AbeBooks
[PDF]Statistical Design of Experiments
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
Information and Software Technology External links:
IST: Information and Software Technology 7-10 – Peter …
Kaizen External links:
The Kaizen Way to Wellness | Dr. Tomas Hemgren
Kaizen Foam – FastCap – Woodworking Tools
Multi-vari chart External links:
Multi-Vari Chart – SurveyMethods.com
ASQ: The Multi-Vari Chart: An Underutilized Quality Tool
Multi-Vari Chart and Analysis Book – M/PCpS
Pareto chart External links:
Pareto Chart – GoLeanSixSigma.com
Pareto Chart Analysis (Pareto Diagram) | ASQ
Eight easy steps to creating a Pareto chart – Reliable Plant
Poka-yoke External links:
[PDF]Poka-Yoke Presentation for ASQ
Poka-Yoke (DVD video, 2008) [WorldCat.org]
Poka-yoke : mistake proofing (DVD video, 2008) …
Process capability External links:
[PDF]Process Capability – mindproweb.com
[PPT]Process Capability – Georgia State University
Process Capability (Cp, Cpk) and Process Performance …
http://www.isixsigma.com › … › Capability Indices/Process Capability
Product development External links:
Synapse Product Development – Official Site
SIGMADESIGN – Product Development Consulting Firms
Andrews-Cooper – Product Development
Project charter External links:
What Is a Project Charter? Steering Your Project to Success
Quality filter mapping External links:
Quality filter mapping – Rediff Pages
Root cause analysis External links:
Root Cause Analysis – VA National Center for Patient Safety
Online Root Cause Analysis Toolkit – Minnesota Dept. of …
What is Root Cause Analysis (RCA)? | ASQ
Shigeo Shingo External links:
Shigeo Shingo – YouTube
Biografía de shigeo Shingo – YouTube
Dr. Shigeo Shingo – the master of lean manufacturing
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Six Sigma – Official Site
Statistical process control External links:
Statistical Process Control (SPC) Tutorial – MoreSteam.com
[PDF]Introduction to STATISTICAL PROCESS CONTROL …
What is SPC – Statistical Process Control? | InfinityQS
Supply chain responsiveness matrix External links:
Supply chain responsiveness matrix | Open Access …
Toyota External links:
Beaverton Toyota | CLEAR – Complete Transparency
Hesser Toyota – Official Site
Southeast Toyota Finance
Value chain External links:
U.S. Global Value Chain Coalition
Welcome to TATA Motors Value Chain Management
The Innovation Value Chain – CBS News
Value stream mapping software External links:
Value Stream Mapping Software | Lucidchart
Value Stream Mapping Software | BreezeTree
LEANPILOT :: Better Value Stream Mapping Software
Voice of the customer External links:
How To Succeed with a Voice of the Customer (VoC) Program
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu