What is involved in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that Virtual Desktop Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Virtual Desktop Infrastructure related domains to cover and 102 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Desktop virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Virtual Desktop Infrastructure results and check on ways to get started with Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
– If web or mobile app is used, has the website been developed in accordance with hopkins and or owasp guidance and is the site actively maintained and updated (see hopkins web checklist)?
– An organization requires that each user needs to access their own copy of os and applications installed on a centralized location. which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– For any workstation or server entered, have you received a completed hopkins hosted application checklist (see appendix) or equivalent certification or documentation?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Do you have a documented process for quickly adding and removing individuals from the authorized access list (hence terminating access to data)?
– In which storage array-based replication technique is the target lun unavailable to the secondary host during replication?
– Which security mechanism enables organizations to authenticate their users of cloud services using a chosen provider?
– How can it provide a mobile solution that is scalable, has increased security without huge associated costs?
– Are machine hard drives or media storing data destroyed or otherwise rendered unreadable prior to disposal?
– What is the name of the organization helping to foster security standards for cloud computing?
– Which cost component to the organization will most likely increase due to this decision?
– What percentage of classrooms in the school has access to the schools wireless network?
– How does a domain name server balance client traffic across a cluster of servers?
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– Which type of storage system does the graphic represent?
– What is a storage group in automated storage tiering?
– Which raid type uses a dedicated parity disk?
– Which migration strategy is recommended?
– How should you configure the vlans?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Confer over Desktop virtualization leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Desktop virtualization results.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure process?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Virtual Desktop Infrastructure been identified and analyzed?
– Think of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project. what are the main functions?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Apple–Intel architecture visions and triple focus on important concepts of Apple–Intel architecture relationship management.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes of our organization?
– What is the source of the strategies for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strengthening and reform?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure activities?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Debate over Application software decisions and slay a dragon.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– What are the long-term Virtual Desktop Infrastructure goals?
– Who sets the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure standards?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Application virtualization risks and define Application virtualization competency-based leadership.
– What are the disruptive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is underway?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Citrix XenApp tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Citrix XenApp.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project?
– Do Virtual Desktop Infrastructure rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Adapt Cloud computing management and overcome Cloud computing skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Security and authentication technologies, allied to event logging, in the cloud computing environment can help auditors as they deal with issues related to workflow were those who entered, approved, changed or otherwise touched data authorized to do so, on an individual, group or role-related basis?
– Business Considerations. Business considerations include the overall organizational readiness for using cloud computing. Is the application owner willing and comfortable with a cloud platform?
– The lack of research tools is unfortunate given that even the most fundamental questions are still unanswered: what is the right distributed architecture for a cloudcomputing system?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What are the implications of cloud computing to enterprise application integration?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– How does cloud computing affect budget predictability for CIOs?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– What defines a true cloud solution versus the quasi cloud?
– What Is the Lifecycle Services Framework?
– Will database virtualization take off?
– Cloud computing: could it cost more?
– what is the future of private cloud?
– What is grid computing?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Categorize Data as a service tactics and report on developing an effective Data as a service strategy.
– Do those selected for the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure team have a good general understanding of what Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is all about?
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Virtual Desktop Infrastructure forward?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Investigate Desktop environment engagements and point out improvements in Desktop environment.
– Will Virtual Desktop Infrastructure have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– In a project to restructure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Hardware virtualization goals and correct better engagement with Hardware virtualization results.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How do we go about Comparing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure approaches/solutions?
– How to deal with Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Changes?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Microsoft App-V visions and check on ways to get started with Microsoft App-V.
– Think about the people you identified for your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What are specific Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Rules to follow?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Steer Microsoft Windows tactics and gather practices for scaling Microsoft Windows.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Virtual Desktop Infrastructure process?
– How can you measure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in a systematic way?
– What will drive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure change?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Mine Oracle Corporation risks and revise understanding of Oracle Corporation architectures.
– How is the value delivered by Virtual Desktop Infrastructure being measured?
– Have all basic functions of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure been defined?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Face Parallels Desktop for Mac governance and assess what counts with Parallels Desktop for Mac that we are not counting.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project?
– Do we monitor the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Grasp Remote Desktop Protocol projects and test out new things.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Virtual Desktop Infrastructure goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do we manage Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Knowledge Management (KM)?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Reason over Remote Desktop Services goals and be persistent.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Virtual Desktop Infrastructure objectives?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
– How do we go about Securing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Consider Software as a service strategies and report on setting up Software as a service without losing ground.
– How likely is the current Virtual Desktop Infrastructure plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– How do we maintain Virtual Desktop Infrastructures Integrity?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Check Tablet computer goals and correct better engagement with Tablet computer results.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure moving forward?
– How do we Improve Virtual Desktop Infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
– How can we improve Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Thin client adoptions and check on ways to get started with Thin client.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure study?
– Why are Virtual Desktop Infrastructure skills important?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Value VMware Fusion tasks and display thorough understanding of the VMware Fusion process.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Study VMware Horizon View quality and develop and take control of the VMware Horizon View initiative.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Virtual Desktop Infrastructure does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure agendas for the next 3 years?
– How much does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure help?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Shape VMware ThinApp risks and gather VMware ThinApp models .
– What are the barriers to increased Virtual Desktop Infrastructure production?
– Does the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure task fit the clients priorities?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Depict Virtual PC visions and find answers.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Virtual Desktop Infrastructure models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Virtual Desktop Infrastructure workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information: